As a school we follow the DfE's Letter and Sounds program, letters and their sounds are introduced one at a time. Sets of letters are taught each week.
Phase 2 Phonics Letters and Sounds aim to develop the following skills:
- Knowledge and understanding of the letters
- Practising letter recognition for reading and recall for spelling
- Practising oral blending and segmentation
- Practising blending for reading VC (at, it) and CVC (cat, dog) words
- VC and CVC words for spelling
- Practising high-frequency common words
- Exposure to two-syllable words for reading
Each week I will update the website to show the new letter sounds and high-frequency words we are focusing on that week.
Our focus letter sounds this week are;
i, n, m, d
Our high-fequency words are;
is, it, in, at, and